Start Artichokes in Fall?

drippy(7bAL)June 7, 2012

I am thinking that artichokes are perennial here. My spring seeding was a failure - I am wondering if I start some in pots and transplant them in fall if that would work. The ACES planting guide doesn't cover artichokes, but DH loves them, so I'd like to grow some. Does anyone know if they can be fall planted?

Thanks in advance,

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

I think they are hit or miss here. I tried them one year and failed, too - roots rotted. Probably too wet. Perhaps planting later when it dries out for the summer would be better.

There is also a cultivar - Imperial Star? - that produces in one year instead of two.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 10:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

I grew up in the artichoke capital of the world, (cool foggy coastal Santa Maria, Cal.) so I have tried many times here in No. Al and failed. I don't believe they are winter hardy here and it is probably too hot as well. I can't keep them alive in a greenhouse either, yet I sill try. One year I had beautiful cardoons, a hardier cousin, but one very
cold night got them. Only 3 seeds germinated this year...but when we succeed it will be all the sweeter! Good luck.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™