something unusual

jeff_alJune 8, 2013

growing in my neighbor's yard for many years. she prunes to the ground each winter so only root-hardy in my area. it is erythrina crista-galli or one of the coral beans. i have not seen another one in cultivation around here but they might be more common in gardens further south of me.
it is attractive to hummingbirds. also armed with sharp thorns. the shrub in the photo is about 4' tall and 6' wide. a member of the pea family. i like it but don't think i have a good spot for one in my (mostly) shady yard.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

Hi Jeff,

I saw this flower as a small child and it mesmerized me somehow. Finally got e. 'bidwillii' when I started gardening, but it got massive, sprawled everywhere, and had thorns from hell, so I had to remove it. Got e. 'herbacea' from Wayne a couple of years ago at the swap, and it is now about to flower. Both seem very hardy here. Commonly known as "fireman's cap".

For the health of her plant, why don't you offer to divide it for her and bring me a start at the Fall swap! ;-D The one I saw as a child belonged to a friend's mother. When she died two years ago the plant was still alive.

Thanks for the pictures - they're beautiful and bring back lots of memories.

Nelson

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 10:13PM
plantman71(7b/8a)

The lady up the street has one blooming. She calls it her Shrimp plant. I call it pretty. Tony

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 11:56PM
jeff_al

hi nelson and tony.
sadly, the neighbor passed away this past easter weekend but her son is looking after her home and i am sure he wouldn't mind if i collect some seed from it this year, assuming it makes some.
gardening is not one of his interests but he is glad to have someone in the neighborhood keeping an eye on the house until he decides what to do with it.
it does not seem to produce seed most years but it does occasionally.
if i find some, i can send to you.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™