Dwarf Hydrangeas

jbranch(7B Alabama)June 24, 2008

Since not many replies to my very handsome hostas, I will post a picture of a new endeavor of mine - hydrangeas. I have 5 mopheads in my yard right now, cuttings of one that my late mother-in-law gave us. I have an area in my front yard where I needed a shrub and I like hydrangeas, but can't get one that is too big there. Bought a Pia dwarf hydrangea and a Milthida Gutes dwarf from hydrangea.com. The Pia is shown below. My MG has not bloomed yet :-(. What other good dwarf mopheads are out there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loveofmylife680(z7)

I love Hydrangea's also. Very healthy looking plant.
Jill

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 8:34PM
Bamateacha(z8)

I have several hydrangeas. The lacecaps are Lady in Red, Lanarth, and Blue Billows. The mopheads are Endless Summer, Blushing Bride, Mini Penny, Annabelle, and Lemon Daddy. Then I have oakleafs and Limelight.

The Mini Penny would be the dwarf, but it's new so I can't really give you a good evaluation yet. :) Your Pia is certainly an attractive hydrangea. I'll have to look into getting one of those.

-Sharon

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 9:44PM
Bamateacha(z8)

Oops...forgot to mention our Nikko Blue mophead...not a dwarf though. :)

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 9:35AM
jbranch(7B Alabama)

By the way, I was very pleased with the quality from Hydrangea.com. I got these two hydrangeas within a week of ordering and they arrive in great shape.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 7:33PM
esh_ga

Why stop with dwarf mopheads? Get a dwarf oakleaf - "Pee Wee".

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 10:35AM
jbranch(7B Alabama)

Esh_ga - I plan to get a Pee Wee, have not found it yet locally, and I did not see it on Hydrangea.com, although I could have missed it. I should probably Google it and see who sells them. I want to stay with mopheads in this particular garden and need one or two more.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 5:55PM
esh_ga

Ok, glad to hear it. Another dwarf one is a sport from 'Pee Wee', it is called 'Little Honey'. And 'Sikes Dwarf' is another if you come across that.

I would hope you could find 'Pee Wee' locally, Oakleaf hydrangea being the state wildflower! I just love the oakleaf hydrangea. Good luck!

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 9:46PM
jbranch(7B Alabama)

Thanks ESH. I live about 10 minutes from Aldridge Gardens, a botanical garden in Hoover, a suburb of Birmingham. They specialize in hydrangea and have hydrangea sales a few times a year, but I always seem to miss the anouncements. They should have some of these. I have used the internet for my two recent purchases simply because of the convenience. I have been to several nurserys locally and only see large mophead hydrangeas. I have seen only one oakleaf and it did not look very healthy. I have copied your list and saved on my computer thanks for the info.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 7:54AM
tedevore(7b Al)

Hi jbranch,

I got a sikes dwarf oakleaf hydrangea this year from Meyer's nursery, and
Collier's nursery had lots of PeeWee and other kinds that looked good, and
their plants are always in good shape.

I also live in Hoover close to aldridge, and you are welcome to to take cuttings of any of the hydrangeas (or any other stuff I have!)
I have Snow flake and sikes dwarf and plain old Oakleafs.. I have and have cuttings rooted of:
H. serrata "Fuji Waterfall", 'Blue billow", "Preziosa", and "endless summer" mophead type. I like to trade and give divisions to nice people right around here locally, and still always have a list of stuff for our swaps. Sharing stuff is the way to go, especially cost-wise.

todd

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 9:06AM
jeff_al

let us know if you find 'little honey' locally.
i have wanted that one since i first heard of it.
it was discussed on the hydrangea forum some time back ('05) and the photos of it look nice with yellow/chartreuse foliage during the growing season and typical oakleaf fall colors.
according to a post by a person in the hort. industry, there is only one licensed propagator for it and they use tissue culture, making it a slow process to build stock.
a mac that i grow which has remained small is 'domotoi'.
sources say can grow to 5' but mine never got over 3'.it has semi-to-double-flowered clusters, pale blue in my soil.
found it at a box-store garden center.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 10:44AM
esh_ga

jbranch, I have definitely heard of Aldridge Gardens - you are in Oakleaf territory for sure. You should take advantage of todd's offer. I have reasonably good success with cuttings - I take them in May and get part old wood and part new wood (I tried only new wood and didn't have much luck). The 'Pee Wee' that I have was a cutting from my neighbor's, as a matter of fact.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 11:15AM
jbranch(7B Alabama)

Todd - is it too late/hot to get cuttings? I have done this before, about three years ago and they have grown a lot, but have not bloomed much. Don't know what time of year is best to work with cuttings. I live in Pelham.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 8:53PM
jbranch(7B Alabama)

Think I got that name right - Mathilda Gutes is one that I got from Hydrangea.com and it has grown well, but not bloomed yet. Was wondering why? Do hydrangea bloom at different times of the year. I can get a photo of it if necessary.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™