Did Anyone Go To Daylily Show

tsmith2579(7B)June 13, 2009

Sylvia and I went to the Bham Bot. Gardens for the daylily show. Wow, what a disappointment. All of the Mountain Brook Village area was without electricity due to Friday night's storms. We walked up to the BBG doors and the display tables were outside. There may have been only 8 or 10 tables of blooms. This may have been due to flower damage from the storm last night. We started to walk down the aisle to view blooms and a rude lady told us "you can't go down there." I asked if they were still judging and she said "Well, yes!" Some acquaintances of ours belong to the Bham daylily group and they said the club sold plants first and didn't set up the show tables or start judging until they had sold out of plants. There was not sense in the lady being so rude. We may try again next year. I will say there were some spectacular flowers with the few they had to show.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lsmcw(7b-AL)

I had planned to but it stormed all day at my house and the power went off. Had 4.5" of rain for Saturday and Sunday. Sounds like I didn't miss much. Linda

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 9:45AM
airydana(7b AL)

I went during a break in the rain, mainly to see the lovely blooms and also buy something from the hosta sale. I must have had the SAME RUDE LADY -- she chased me off too and treated me like I was some kind of freeloader or something...wish I'd seen you and Sylvia - that would have made it a lot better. The hostas were really expensive, but I got a couple anyway because I needed some. ALL dl's were sold out early apparently -- tons of hosta were left though. Also I bought a couple of things from the Leaf & Petal shop - that guy was very nice as were all the hosta folks. Apparently the Daylily people are a bit snooty... I left without seeing one beautiful bloom up close - also very disappointed. Won't bother with that again - wish I'd gone to the Gordo thing instead. Someone told me you have to get in line at like 7am to purchase any daylilies at their sale. Dana

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 9:46PM
caroleena(Z8)

my friend and i always drove to b'ham for the plant sale in april. they were so rude and unaccomodating last time this year we decided we could be abused closer to home...

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™