Peonies

mattie108July 31, 2013

I am thinking of planting Peonies but I've read that in the South they appreciate afternoon sun. The place I have in mind is on the west side of the house and they will get sun all day. I'm in zone 7. Anyone have any idea how they'll do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantman71(7b/8a)

Mine do good in full sun. They bloom better in full sun. Been growing them since 63. I got my first for a wedding gift from the preachers wife.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:10PM
mattie108

Thank you Plantman! I am happy to hear that. I kind of have my heart set on Peonies but was afraid they wouldn't do well. There are a zillion to choose from. Do you have a favorite? I am impressed that you've been growing them since 1963 - what a great idea for a wedding gift!

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:58PM
plantman71(7b/8a)

I mostly grow the double type, some single blooms types. I have not tried the bush or tree types. They cost to much.
Who has tried the bush type?

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:23PM
jeff_al

i have grown the tree peonies (p. suffruticosa) for a few years but they went into decline after that and became so weak that i gave up on them. from what i have read, they are more vigorous in colder climates. at any rate, they were not happy where i had them. possible issues might have been drainage or lack of fertilizer. i thnk even the herbaceous ones prefer a winter chill period that they don't get in my area and farther south of me. my grandfather had them in north alabama (florence area) but i don't see those often around here. auburn university is studying them for heat-tolerant varieties. there is an article online if you search for it.
the tree peony flowers are big and beautiful, though, and are worthy of a spot in the garden if you can grow them. one of mine had a nice lemon fragrance.

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 10:38AM
catbird(z7 AL)

In this part of the country humidity seems to be as much of a problem with peonies as anything. They must have good circulation and well drained soil or they'll mildew badly.

Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 4:36PM
mattie108

Thank you, everyone! Your input has been very helpful. I'm still interested, but I might put off my decision for a while. So much to consider! They can be expensive, and I don't want to be disappointed. Gonna think on it...thanks again!

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
I am pretty new to gardening.
This year I am trying to start flowers and tomatoes...
karensizzorhands
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Spring swap, from Todd
I can't figure out how to access my trade list (don't...
tedevore
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Sponsored Products
Peony Personalities Canvas Set
$64.99 | zulily
Set of Six Peony Cereal Bowls
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Peony Purple Narrow Zig Zag Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
24 in. Mixed Peony Wreath - 4664
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Spring Blossom Wreath
Grandin Road