Ferns for Montgomery Alabama

fnboyd(z8 AL)July 25, 2007

Hey ya'll

I have a shady area next to my house that I think would look pretty with ferns. Which ones have you had luck with? I want the hardy ones that will over-winter when planted in the ground.

Thanks so much,

faye

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tedevore(7b Al)

I have a lot of christmas ferns and shield ferns. Once they get established, they are about the easiest plants I have to take of--not bothered noticeably
in this dry weather, & don't need dividing. Well, the shield ferns do grow thick, and I do thin them out and give some away after several years. I also like cinnamon ferns. I have two of them that are situated so they have "wet feet" most of the time, and they get pretty big, over 3 ft tall, with interesting brown fertile frond- thingies growing up in spring. I have cinnamon ferns that stay in dryer areas and do not grow so impressively in comparison. If you go to one of the plant digs when they have them at the landfill in spring, you can dig ferns for free. Thats where I got lots of mine.

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 12:43PM
fnboyd(z8 AL)

tedevore,

thanks for the info. Tell me more about this plant dig thing. where, when?

I had the shield fern on my list to try.

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 1:15PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Fnboyd, do a search on the Alabama forum for "landfill". There is quite a bit of information there. Disregard the Turkey Creek landfill info. Turkey Creek no longer has a plant dig. The Bham landfill is always in the middle of February. On one of the messages I have listed a phone number to call for info. I usually put a note on my MSN Outlook calendar to remind me to call in mid-January. I always post a reminder when I get the info.

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
Am I banned?
Twice lately I have posted a question and when checking...
topsiebeezelbub
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™