Archduke Charles

buffington22(Z8 Louisiana)November 6, 2011

This is a really good rose here in NE Louisiana. I have 3, 2 in pots and one in the ground. The potted ones were planted last spring and they the same size but more free-flowering than the 3-4 y/o planted in the ground. The blooms this fall have been good sized and really pretty. A few weeks after deadheading, they are full of blooms again. Trying to decide if I should plant the potted ones in twin bare spots or order 2 more AC's or 2 Cramoisi Superior, another favorite of mine. I'm going to the darker pinks and reds b/c of poor bloom quality of the pale pinks in the spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

A.C. is one of my most-favorite roses.

I'm glad to hear it's good in Louisiana -- because it's also a champ out here, in CA. It's one of the roses you find MULTIPLES of in almost every old Gold-Rush-Era cemetery, and it's disease-free here.

Jeri

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 12:43PM
bellegallica_zone9(9)

That's good to know! Along with Napoleon, it's supposed to be one of the more fragrant Chinas.

Does it have a great scent?

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 1:44PM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

I love Archduke CHarles also. However, my favorite is Cramoisi Superieur. I like its overall growth and see it as being very majestic. I would never put it in a pot.

They are both beautiful in their own way, but CS gets huge here.My AC remains small.

Sammy

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 2:24PM
jardineratx

I'm also a fan of Archduke Charles and love that it is a little more upright than other chinas, allowing a little more room for neighbor roses. Cramoisi, however, is my favorite rose and is the only OGR that I have three of. Like Sammy, I love that it is big and it is truly impressive. A tough choice indeed!
Archduke charles in the first photo and a young Cramoisi in the second photo.
Molly
From Garden 2010

From Garden 2010

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 4:52PM
buffington22(Z8 Louisiana)

I have 2 CS, a climber and bush. I really like it also but it is slower to maturity than AC for me.

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 1:43PM
aimeekitty(9-10, SW 18)

I don't have CS, but I love the color changing aspect of AC (I have AC) I also love that AC blooms a loooot.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 9:01PM
malcolm_manners

All three of the roses mentioned above are excellent here in central Florida as well -- always in bloom, relatively disease-free, and even fairly easy to grow on their own roots.

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 3:12PM
rosefolly

I don't grow either rose, but since you already have Archduke Charles, why not choose Cramoisi Superior? And perhaps a Napoleon as well? That will give you three excellent roses that all do well in your climate.

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
Cl Devoniesis in SoCal
Not that I have any business looking at roses but..... What...
Kippy
What roses are you adding in 2015?
I have an order coming from Greenmantle Nursery soon...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
about the David Austin bagged root roses out there now
Over on the rose forum there was a report of Austin...
stillanntn6b
Felicite et Perpetue in a tree?
Does anyone near zone 7 have Felicite et Perpetue growing...
dindrane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™