What is most beautiful spring shrub?

Linda RossJuly 26, 2009

I am looking for a spring blooming shrub to plant this fall. I want something I can "force branches into bloom inside" and makes a beautiful display in the garden. I was thinking of Mock Orange, Spirea, etc. It will get a lot of sun. I so wish lilacs would grow here in the South. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

I've never had luck keeping mock orange bloom in a bouquet and I've never known of anyone forcing mock orange. The best thing for forcing would be either forsythia or quince. Their is a low growing, spreading forsythia which seems to bloom later than regular forsythia and holds its blooms longer. Also, there are now white, pink and peach colored quinces in addition to the old red, which are beautiful in a mixed arrangement. Ornamental peach trees are often forced into bloom in Asia to celebrate the lunar Chinese) New Year. They are very pretty. Ornamental crab apples (Brandywine)are very pretty as well. These are small trees. An early, early bloomer is winter jasmine. It doesn't have a fragrance but it is a low grower and blooms yellow over a long period. Finally there are the purple tulip trees which bloom later and are less likely to be killed by frost. These are fragrant. My favorite would be the forsythia. There are so many REALLY GOOD varieties now.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 8:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I do love quince. I vote for that. I have two.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Want long leaf pine
Does anyone know of a source for long leaf pine seeds...
josephene_gw
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™