Mystery Squash 2nd picture

zelenkabachJuly 20, 2014

Here is a picture of the actual squash, and I have plenty!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

Last year I ordered the same variety from a reputable company, and they were long with the ball shape on the end just like your photo. I let them stay on the vine until they turned gold, like a winter squash, and thought they were very good. They got over 2 ft long, and the neck part had no seeds, so they were easy to prepare. I think you got the right squash, but picked too early...they are not a zuccinni type. I saved some seeds and am trying again this year.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:16AM
MiKru(7b/8)

Just out of curiosity: did all the plants survive the vine borers?

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 3:05PM
zelenkabach

Just a follow up...
After trying to cook with very young squash from this mysterious plant and finding it not tasty,and also tasting some true tromboncino that I had in my garden and finding those delicious, I yanked out all of the mystery squash vines.

Let me tell you, this was a project.. The vines were extremely tough and I saw no evidence of SVB, nor squash bugs. The main vines from which the squash grow off were very hard, and had rooted themselves into the ground with some tenacity. I was surprised. Even though this was obviously a hybrid of tromboncino and something else, whatever tromboncino genes were still in that plant were no joke. I used my brand new Fiskar clippers to cut these vine apart and loosen them from the ground, and after a while, those clippers started to struggle to cut the vines.

I had about 20 mystery squash that I cut to reveal the seeds for the birds and then put on the compost pile.

Meanwhile, my other "true" tromboncino plants are doing well, no bugs yet but some brave deer have developed a taste for them an are attacking those plants.

If it isn't one thing, it's another...

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Lisianthus from seed
Hi has any one grown Lisianthus from seed,I have some...
lifeflower123
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™