Anyone local have experience with a log home?

john_trussville(z7b AL)July 27, 2008

We're currently looking at a log home that's for sale in the B'ham area, and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with one, or possibly knows someone who has one.

I'm already aware of the fact that they're a little harder to finance, cost more to insure....but what I'm most concerned with is the maintenance. Is it a never ending project to keep up with all the chinking, caulking, staining?

And are they as energy efficient as the log home companies claim?

Tell me whatever you've heard...good or bad. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

john

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beckibob(7b AL)

My in-laws have one for a weekend place. After they had it stained and sealed about 7 years ago, I don't think they'd done anything else in terms of maintenance. Seems to be pretty efficient, but then again, they only use it occasionally.

The biggest problem they ran into is that the only company that would insure it was State Farm.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 5:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_trussville(z7b AL)

thanks beckiebob.....I just got off the phone with my insurance agent (State Farm) & he said they will insure it at a rate just slightly higher than conventional construction as long as it was built from a kit and we can identify the original mfg...just in case we ever need replacement logs. I had read that insurance rates can be as much as three times higher and require a $5000 deductible...but I guess that's not the case.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
trade list
where are profiles and trade lists ? wayne
mws366
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™