Where can I get composted horse manure?

tweetypye(z8/sc AL)July 8, 2005

OK you guys!!! You really came through on the "pot" problem for me(she said with a grin)! Now, does anyone know where I can get the composted horse manure? Putting in new daylily beds, and need compost really badly. Preferably in the Central Alabama area.

Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

Jan and anyone else who reads this message, please do me a favor. When I try to post, the subject line disappears. At first it is there then it just disappears. It doesn't matter if it is a new post or a reply like this one. Is anyone else having this problem? I noticed there have not been any new postings since Friday.

Oops, while posting this message, the subject line magically reappeared. Has anyone else had this prolem?

Terry

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 4:56PM
tweetypye(z8/sc AL)

Nope Terry, no dissapearing subject line here. :) How's the weather where you are?
I'm in Elmore County, and rain and a few gusts or wind are about all we have so far.
Stay safe!
Jan

Bookmark   July 10, 2005 at 5:04PM
outsideplaying_gw(7)

Jan,
We're in North Alabama but have 2 neighbors with horses who would likely be happy to get rid of some of their excess. My husband also works with a guy who has let us haul manure in the past. Problem is, most of it is not totally composted yet; just what they muck out of the stables when cleaning & laying new straw. Probably too far for you to drive with a trailer, but thought I'd let you know.
Elaine

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 12:05PM
tweetypye(z8/sc AL)

Thanks Elaine, but yes, that is a bit far to be hauling manure. :) I hopefully will be able to locate some much closer by.

Jan

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 2:18PM
Bamateacha(z8)

Jan, I have a source for horse manure, but I have no idea how to get it ready for the garden. :(

I read on the cottage forum that bunny poop was even better because you can use it directly without composting. There's a bunny farm just up the road from me. Has anyone used it before and can comment?

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 10:39PM
tweetypye(z8/sc AL)

Bamateacha,

I dont' know about the "bunny" stuff, but with horse manure, it needs to compost "or sit" for several months. If you have access to the manure that has been laying around for a while, you can use it immediately. Just don't use "fresh" manure, or you will burn up your plants. We use to own horses, and my plants loved the composted manure, but we no longer have horses. I hope to be able to locate a source to get some for use in some new daylily beds I am putting in soon.

Jan

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 3:30PM
Frog_hollow_lady(8Al)

Hello,
ANY poop.. bunny or hourse have to be composted.. ask me how I know..lol..cow is better then horse...horse does not kill all of the "seeds" when ate.. cows kill alot more..you will see the difference in the sping..when your weeds take over...
Have a great day..

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 3:39AM
Bamateacha(z8)

Thanks for the advice. :)

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™