Salvia question

tedevore(7b Al)July 20, 2006

I have enjoyed salvia coccinea "lady in red" and "coral nymph" in the garden,

but these are plants I have bought in spring, and since they are hardy only to zone 8, I am not surprised that I don't get them back. I have read that they reseed well for some people, but I have only gotten seedlings that show up later

the next summer, which didn't make it into rigorous plants. I probably pulled up any early seedlings, as in spring its hard to tell whats what. Anyone else in zone 7b have better luck? Salvias are about the best thing I've found for the hummingbirds. They bloom longer than bee balm and cardinal flower.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terramadre

Mine reseed themselves year after year. At present, I have mature plants and seedlings.
You may want to take a pic of seedlings so you can id them next year ;-)

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 7:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrgardner(z8b FL)

My Coral Nymph reseeds like mad. I've had pretty good luck starting them indoors in the winter (January) and I've also potted some up and taken them indoors for the winter and put them back in the ground in the spring. How about trying that for some of the small seedlings that show up late in the season.

I've fortunate to be able to over winter in one best (full west with protection from the house) It's huge! 4' tall at least. Really pretty and the bumbles love it.

Good luck
JR

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™