anyone know muscadines?

MiKru(7b/8)July 9, 2014

Hi all:
I bought two muscadines at a big box store last year and planted them to grow up and along a fence (each in a "T" formation). One of them just exploded in growth; the second barely inches along, and has more or less stopped growing. Same location, planted at the same time, same routine.

So that's just weird, but if anyone might have an explanation I'm interested to know.

But to my actual question: this is year two with the vines. I trimmed them in February back to three buds on the shoots and in May I had a few grape buds (more, strangely, on the slower growing one). But those buds have disappeared and the ends of the tendrils look burnt. The vines otherwise look ok: the one is still growing like crazy, they have a few red spots on the leaves and maybe some yellowing.

Does all of this point in the direction of one problem? I'm thinking that it needs magnesium, but I really have no idea. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
notascrename

You might search on-line for " Muscadine nutrient deficiency pics". this has helped me with several plant mysteries. Jim

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 2:45PM
MiKru(7b/8)

Thanks notascrename -- I found that suggestion very helpful. I'm going to try a few new things.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:49PM
garymc(7 S.E.Mo)

You may have 2 female vines. You don't say what varieties they are, so hard to know, but that would be my first thought. See if you can find a "delicious" or "ison" variety to plant with them as a pollinator.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 3:59AM
muscadines978(7, Dalton, Ga.)

The fact weather they are female or self fertile has nothing to do with their growth rate.
I have 17 different varieties and a total of about 60 or so vines. Some grow slower than others. Just make sure that you have a good fertilization program. they are heavy feeders.
You might want to check out my website: www.MuscadinesAndMore.com At the bottom of the home page I placed a link of how to grow Muscadines. This might help.

Hans

Bookmark   January 8, 2015 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
Sponsored Products
Possini Euro Selene 15" Wide Crystal Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Science of Sleep Trim Sleeper Pillow for Stomach Sleepers
Overstock.com
Vonnie Dining Chair
bryght.com
Hover Lounge Chair in White
$349.00 | LexMod
London Transport Mug
$19.99 | Dot & Bo