plant/mulch fungus?

roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)August 8, 2008

hey ya'll - have a strange appearance - some sort of fungus/mold - powdery spores. Starts off yellow on day 1 - like yellow paint almost - then changes colors.

here is a link of what it looks like. Suggestions? I am gonna try bleach/water mixture - appears to have come in on mulch but the mulch came from 2 different stores - first appeared after heavy rains (mulch in shock?!)

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of unknown

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

You don't have to put anything on it; it is just a natural process breaking down the mulch. It is dog vomit slime mold.

Here is a link that might be useful: dog vomit

    Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 7:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Slime molds (not really a mold or a fungus) really don't have much to do with decomposition but ingest bacteria and organic compounds that are already decomposed. They are very common on mulch, manure, compost, etc. But they can also be observed moving across sidewalks and other surfaces.

Fascinating organisms, and not at all harmful in any way.

    Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 10:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Thanks ya'll - i don't really conder them fascinating lol - but nice to know not harmless. It doesn't really APPEAR to be a "slime mold" b/c it is stationary and is powdery by the end of day 1. saw slime mold one time out in the woods behind my house and thought i was gonna puke lol

    Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 10:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

There are thousands of different species of these 'things'. Your description fits perfectly. They really can be kinda sickening looking, at times.

    Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 12:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suggi

What about a fungus that looks like a brown accordian or something - has ridges. There are a few in the cedar mulch - different sizes. All are allergic to mold so how should I get rid of it -- or should I just leave it alone. Has been raining all summer here.

Thanks

    Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 1:57PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™