plant ID help needed

jokr(7)August 14, 2013

Can anyone help me ID this. It may have come from some flower seeds I've sprinkled a couple years ago. I didn't plant it as a flower I would have bought. When I moved into the house four years ago it wasn't there (nothing was, a totally grass only yard). It came up one summer, and returned the next summer - in a different spot. Close to the original spot but several feet away and under a red maple tree.

It is the one with the purple flowers. It is tall and does it's own thing. I didn't water or touch it.

I'll include several pictures, if this site will allow. So you can see the flowers and the way it grows etc.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Kris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Pretty sure that's cosmos. A nice plant, a true annual, AFAIK.

You can add one pic per post, but feel free to post as many times as you want in the future, to add more pics although probably not necessary on this one.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 8:56AM
jokr(7)

Thank you so much! Now that you say that name, I think I remember having a package of flower seeds with Cosmos as the name. I probably had that little package in a drawer for a couple of years, and must have finally sprinkled them out at some point.

Thanks again!! And thank you for the tip regarding any future posts and multiple pictures.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 3:11PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Glad to try to help. I put out some of those seeds this year, saved from a friend's plant last year, but it looks like the birds ate them, or they got washed away. Seeing yours is a nice consolation prize anyway.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™