'Tree' Lantana

WannaBGardener(8b & 4a)August 12, 2005

Has anyone tried, or had any luck with growing a Lantana into a tree. We have one that is getting to large as a bush, and would like to try doing the tree thing with it. I'm guessing to do this, we would save a larger stalks, and cut all the others away. I saw a couple of them as trees on "Week End Gardener" last week, but don't know if they were a true tree type, or a bush trained as a small tree. How tall do Lantana bushes grow????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

i have seen lantana as tall as i am (6'+) but can't say which cultivar it was(old homesite, maybe just a pass-along plant). the only one i grow is a trailer w/ bright yellow flowers.
as far as training into a standard, i am sure you could do it as you described but it seems to me that it would be necessary to start over each growing season. do the branches not get killed to the ground each winter where you live?
except for the trailing types, i think they grow naturally as multi-stemmed shrubs rather than single-trunked or tree-like.

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 5:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
QueenBee52(z8 SE AL)

my lantana is about 3 or 4 years old and around 5-6 feet tall. it dies back in the winter and puts back out from the root not the dry stem, so i am not sure how you'd grow it as a shrub tree. maybe its a different lantana or just requires a whole lot of attention.

Bookmark   August 12, 2005 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™