Red Twig Dogwood

mattie108August 30, 2013

Just wondering if y'all would share some pearls of wisdom on the subject of Red Twig Dogwoods. I bought one about six weeks ago, planted it on the west side of the house, and water it two or three times a week (now that it's finally stopped raining). But it's looking kind of puny. Could this be a response to the days getting shorter (already!)? I'm near Huntsville, by the way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

It's a brutal time to plant a tree, especially one that's fond of cooler weather than we get. I would shade it, if you can, until the temps drop a bit, and avoid overwatering.

Dogwoods are one of the first trees to call it quits in the the fall, so I wouldn't be too concerned if the leaves start to change soon. I was up in VA this weekend and they are already starting to change up there.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 2:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattie108

Thanks, NIcole. From what I've read the Red Twig Dogwood is a shrub, not a tree, but I'm sure that's neither here nor there. I knew it was probably a risky time to plant it since the price was marked way down (it was cheap enough I didn't mind risking it). But it looked so good for the first little while after I planted it that I hate to see it looking unhappy now. I'm going to take your advice and figure out some shade for it. Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™