Cucumbers

Angie.DAugust 12, 2013

My cucumbers were doing great and then one day last week, the leaves started spotting and the vines started getting mushy and slimy. I saw snails at the root so I bought snail/slug killer and Sevin dust (that's the white powder you see on the leaves). I applied both products 2 days ago and so far my cucumbers have not improved. Is this damage from the snails or something else? This is my first time growing cucumbers so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

Are the fruits also splotchy? If so, probably cucumber mosaic virus.

Otherwise, it's probably squash bug damage. Even if you killed all the bugs (unlikely), the leaves won't heal. The plant will continue to put out new growth, though.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 3:18PM
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

Just my opinion, looks like fungus. An extension agent was telling me that cucurbits like cucumbers and squash are really being hit hard by fungal diseases this summer. Looks like this one is headed for that big compost pile in the sky. Too far gone. As much as I like heirloom veggies, modern hybrids with disease resistance do have advantages!

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 6:16PM
MiKru(7b/8)

I'm surprised people are still getting cucumbers -- I pulled mine a few weeks ago after a very productive few months.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 4:16PM
Angie.D

Thank you all for responding. I think you're right about the fungus, so I pulled all the cucumbers up this morning. Going to start working on my Fall garden.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 4:44PM
alabamanicole(7b)

MiKru, I'm still getting a few but most of my plants were pulled out weeks ago.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 8:26PM
madabouteu(8A - central Alabama)

I have a few cukes still on the vine, not quite ripe, but the vines themselves are just about dead.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 9:35PM
MiKru(7b/8)

I received good advice -- maybe on this forum? -- a few years ago, and that was to pull plants sooner rather than later. The bugs home in one dying/wilting plants, attack them, and then lay eggs in the soil for the next season.

My gauge for cucumbers is pickle worms. If the plant looks bad and I'm finding a lot pickle worms in my cucumbers, the plants gotta go.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Sick of the Cold!!
Started all my zukes, cukes, and tomatos and this bi-polar...
jenandwya
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™