ornamental sweet potato vine??

daffodillady(7b/8a central AL)August 28, 2009

So I was just given several small pieces of a green ornamental sweet potato vine. They have short roots on the ends. If I pot them up now, will they have time to grow the tubers that are recommended to store for next year? Should I plan on enjoying the vine for what's left of this growing season, or could the potted vine be overwintered sucessfully- inside or outside? Could cutting of the vine be overwintered in water? I am located between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

Beth, pot it up and grow as usual. When the vine starts to die back, stop watering, cover all of the potato with dirt and keep it in the pot. Put it in a cool, dark place and ocassionally water through the winter. About March 1 take it out of the pot, wash it and put it in light. It should begin sprouting. You can cut off the slips with a litle bit of the potato and pot them up. Each one wil give you a vine and grow potatoes. BTW, my mother used to cut off slips for a grower in Cullman when she was a little girl. She got paid 10 cents per thousand slips she removed from the potatoes.

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 8:21PM
daffodillady(7b/8a central AL)

Thanks, Terry. I have seen this ornamental vine at the Aldridge Botanical Garden and just loved the color and how it cascaded down over the pot's sides. I hope it will form "potatos" and make it through the winter, as I would love to have several pots to add to my collection....and also want to add the purple and others, eventually.
10 cents per thousand......WHEW...lotta work for that!!

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 8:41PM
haley45(7b)

I grew 'Sweet Caroline' potato vine this year - its a pretty variegated one. I'd be happy to try to root some cuttings to bring to the Fall swap if ya'll would like.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:59AM
caroleena(Z8)

you can't kill these things with a flamethrower! just let them die down and take minor precautions such as a little shelter from hard freezing. i absolutely love this species.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™