Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' at lowes

tedevore(7b Al)August 31, 2009

I needed some caulk and was in lowes today, and saw they had nice gallon size pots of Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' for less than 7$. I got three. I was surprised to see them for this price. I ordered some mail order a few years ago, from bluestone perrenials. The small container plants grow slowly, kind of like waiting for hellebores to grow (thus I was surprised at the price) and I haven't seen the plant offered at local nurseries. Lowes also had nice looking containers of sedum 'Matrona', another plant I saw you could order from plant delights, for a smaller plant and more $. I guess if you wait long enough, some good plants make it to the big box stores for cheaper. But I still like to support good nurseries when its reasonable to do so.

p.s. this was the lakeshore location.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

Hey, Todd. Does it die back in winter or stay "green" like liriope?

Bookmark   September 1, 2009 at 8:28PM
tedevore(7b Al)

It dies back. Theres not much that is as hardy as liriope, huh? I want to try the kind called "peedee Ingot" sometime if I find it at the right price.

I like this hakonechloa grass because when it gets to good size, it has a nice cascading shape to it.

Bookmark   September 1, 2009 at 8:38PM
catbird(z7 AL)

Ted: Thanks for the heads-up! I'll head to Lowe's today and hope they have it at the Gadsden store.

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 8:14AM
catbird(z7 AL)

I did go to our Lowes and they didn't have it. They had another golden Japanese grass, but it was not hakonechloa. :-(

Bookmark   September 4, 2009 at 2:25PM
outsideplaying_gw(7)

Ted, I'm a few days late reading this, but hope to find some at our Lowe's in Hsv. By the way, a friend has this growing with 'Alabama Sunset' coleus and it looks great. You lucky dog for finding it at such a great prce (and the sedum too)! It has been on my list for next year.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:35AM
haley45(7b)

I bought one (wanted to see how it did in this spot) at the B'ham Botanical Garden's Spring sale for $3. It was was a smaller size though. But maybe they'll have some at the Fall sale if you can't find it at your local Lowe's and were planning on going.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
trade list
where are profiles and trade lists ? wayne
mws366
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™