Killing grass in beds; killing nutgrass anywhere

catbird(z7 AL)September 14, 2008

At lunch after the swap we were talking about the nuisance of Bermuda grass [Grrr >:-( ] growing in beds and shrubbery. I promised Jill that I'd post what I have learned about getting rid of it, so here it is:

There are several grass-selective herbicides on the market that will kill grass without taking out the ornamentals it's growing through. If Home Depot and Lowes don't have them, you can find them at farm supply stores. The one I have used is Poast (now called Grassgetter) and I'm only half joking when I say it has saved my marriage! The DH loves Bermuda and I HATE it in the perenniel border. Here are links to more information:

Grassgetter

Envoy

Fulisade

Nutgrass is another story. It's actually a sedge and is not killed by the grass-specific herbicides. As most of us have learned from experience, pulling it or using Roundup gets rid of the plant and the root, but not the "nuts" at the tips of the roots. Thank goodness, there are sedge-specific herbicides, too. Here are links to information about a couple of these:

Sedgehammer

Image Nutsedge Killer

Hope this will help others, too.

Alice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

How timely - the very first thing I did this morning was to start ridding a couple of flowerbeds of !#%&* bermuda grass. God, how I hate that stuff!!!

Thanks for the tip, Alice, and it was really nice meeting you yesterday!

Nelson

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 2:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catbird(z7 AL)

Nelson: Hope you didn't spend too much time fighting the bermuda this morning. Maybe you won't have to do that again. Enjoyed seeing you yesterday, too.

I generally don't use sprays in my garden, but I make exceptions for bermuda-killer and nutgrass-exterminator!

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
Am I banned?
Twice lately I have posted a question and when checking...
topsiebeezelbub
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™