Wild Hedge Bushes

jsuuaSeptember 6, 2008

I just bought a patio home on a small lot, which I thought was going to be "low maintenance":-) In reality, the large hedge bushes surrounding the lot that looked great when I bought in early spring are now a maintenance nightmare. I was wondering if anyone could help me i.d. this species of shrub and let me know if they have a ceiling. Will they just grow like Jack's beanstalk until I cut them down? They are very bushy unless clipped frequently (semi-daily) and have a pale green leaf with a white, almost frost-like consistency on the surface of the leaf. They have the ability to send off shooting limbs with freakish speed (i'm talking an inch a day). Any help or advice is welcome. I'm ready to rev up the chainsaws and reclaim this yard! BTW...they are also around the house, which was clearly a great choice by the previous owner:-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

I don't know what they may be but it sounds like you are not happy with them at all. They have all the characteristics you definitely don't like. I suggest a chainsaw and Round-Up Brush killer. Cut a few feet of the row as close to the ground as possible and spray the fresh wounds with Round-up BRUSH killer. Cut some more and spray some more. You want the Round-Up to be sprayed on the freshly cut stems. Do it on a warm day (over 80 degrees) when the threat of rain is minimal.

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 3:15PM
terramadre
    Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 4:54PM
loveofmylife680(z7)

Sounds like the one I have, it was here also when we bought the place. Is this it? I think it is in the privet family. I can't get rid of this stuff. It would be pretty if it just didnt take over.
Jill

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 8:37PM
ourhighlandhome

Elaeagnus pungens is exactly what came to my mind. I need my head examined for planting a 100-ft. row of this stuff years ago. Granted, it has it's good points, one of which is it's powerful fragrance in fall. But it can quickly get away from you without constant pruning and become an unmanageable 12-ft.-tall beast. Good luck!

Nelson

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Yoshino Cherry Trees
We are hoping to plant 4-5 Yoshino Cherry Trees in...
Mimi_Carol
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Como Bisque 7' 10" Round
Home Depot
Artehouse LA Hollywood Transit Sign - 10W x 24H in. - 0401-8799-27
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Bush Segments 58 inch TV Stand - Cherry - VS11560-03
$469.99 | Hayneedle
Bush & Beach Rattan Barstool
| Dot & Bo
Black Crystal Lamp: 12 in. Crooked Stacked Square Black Crystal Lamp LT1032-SLW
Home Depot
Chocolate 'I Ride to Live' Wall Quotes™ Decal
$19.99 | zulily
Artu Suspensione
| Italy Design
Seedling by thomaspaul Hedge Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™