Overwintering

luv-todigSeptember 24, 2010

I have several container gardens. The planters are plastic, they contain Mexican Petunia, Black Magic, Illustris, Colocasia,regEE's, purple queen and cone flowers. Right now, with the weather breaking, they are beautiful. How do I keep them over the winter? I have a carport and shed only. Not sure of which side of the house is west (i.e. do I stand in the front or the back?) Also, can I leave the Black Magic, Illustris and Colocais, planted in the yard over the winter? If I need to dig them up, what do I do with them? Thanks for any advice.

Luv-todig

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

Last week was the autumnal equinox so right not the sunrise is almost due EAST and sunset is almost due WEST. If you face the sunset, your right side will point North and your left side will point South. If you want to over-winter them outside, you will need to put them on the south side where the winter sun shines from low in the southern sky. I would not leave them in pots. In pots the roots are above ground and will freeze easier than if the plants are in the ground. As for hardiness, the EEs and cone flowers should overwinter in the ground without a problem. You may want to mulch them with leaves for added protection. Here is a link about the Mex. petunia that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mex Petunia

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
trade list
where are profiles and trade lists ? wayne
mws366
Pruning pampas grass
Is it too late to cut back my pampas grass? I live...
jen6747
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™