Advice for groundcover on sunny, sandy hillside

katiezmommySeptember 21, 2012

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here, although I've been lurking for a little while now. We are purchasing 9 acres of land in Dale County, and will be doing some landscaping soon. My experience in landscaping is limited to having spread some bermuda seeds at our current home. As such, I'm at a loss as to where to begin. At the moment, the 9 acres are mostly cleared, with about an acre or 2 of heavy woods in the back. Eventually we'd like to have several gardens of flowers, vegetables, fruits and herbs. At the moment, however, we are trying to decide what we will do with the down slope on the corner of the house. We need to plant something to prevent erosion, but I'd like to plant something that won't require a great deal of maintenance and will be attractive year round. The soil is sandy with full sun. I'm thinking something with a path through it, as there's a nice open area at the bottom that would be a great spot for a future koi pond and sitting area. I also don't want anything that is highly invasive, because we plan on having several garden areas eventually. Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

i like the creeping junipers for such areas. some cultivars are very low-growing and they also are available in different shades of green with bluish, gold and grayish tones, with some changing toward purple or reddish in cold weather.
it doesn't like foot traffic and neither would you like walking on it (prickly stuff!) but it is tough and durable and can be very attractive. paths through it would be fine, though. contrary to the article, i never see weeds coming into the beds of it around town.

Here is a link that might be useful: creeping junipers

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 2:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

I suggest getting a soil test of your land. This will help you determine what will grow well there.

How big is the area you are trying to cover?

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
Alabama Red Clay Soil
Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to...
hello459
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™