Vegetable seed companies and advice for fall planting

passionvineSeptember 1, 2010

I have two questions about vegetable gardening in north Alabama. I just started a small raised bed garden this past spring with limited results. I would like to start a fall garden but I'm not sure when to plant what. I have searched online but most sites seems to be geared toward the northern states. I've also looked at the Alabama Extension Agency bulletin but even it is limited.

My next question is about seed companies - who would you recommend for garden seeds (or not recommend)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

So you HAVE looked at the ACES vegetable planting guide? And the planting poster? You might even give your local office a call (before you make the trip) to see if they have any other pamphlets or handouts that might be useful for you.

I use Park's Seed, mostly because I have for many years and have never had reason to complain. Be SURE to go on line and send away for their catalog, at the very least. Seed catalogs can be filled with some very useful information. (I do my purchasing on line, but my wishful thinking is in my comfy chair away from the computer, lol)

If there are some vegetables or herbs not covered in the ACES bulletins, ask us here or in the Vegetable (Cornucopia) Forum for some details.

Another potentially good source might be a local Feed and Seed type place. They often have local favorite varieties and a FRESH supply of seasonal seed. Huntsville's C.T. Garvin Feed and Seed is a good example. They sell their veggie seed by the tiny scoop or by the 50 pound bag! They will have all of your fall garden seeds, though perhaps not the most exotic varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 12:56PM
passionvine

Rhizo, thank you so much! Actually, I did locate a better planting guide on the extension site after I posted my question. I guess I was just not looking in the right place the first time.

I've ordered some seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds which someone directed me to. It has great reviews on Garden Watchdog.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 4:32PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Go ahead and get on the mailing list for some good catalogs, too. Truly, they can be very informational, educational and all that good stuff.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Sponsored Products
Catskill Butcher Block Cart with Backsplash - 51531
$184.94 | Hayneedle
King 300TC Flat Sheet - HONEYDEW
$275.00 | Horchow
Simmons Kids Castille Double Dresser - 317030-915
$798.99 | Hayneedle
Versailles Raised Garden Bed
Grandin Road
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Gold, 8'4" x 10'3" M1770-3
Darya Rugs
Safavieh Hand-knotted Vegetable Dye Chunky Grey Blue Hemp Rug (6' Square)
Overstock.com
NCAA Tailgate Toss Cornhole Bags - BB-CFB1-IND
$16.98 | Hayneedle
Brunello Planter - 35 diam. in. - A269017
$325.80 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™