Hellebores, when,where,and if to plant?

gruber(7-8)September 20, 2013

Have any of y'all had experience with Hellebores , I have a lot of shade and was thinking about trying some?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

Try 'em - I think you'll do great. I've had success growing them under a huge oak where they get partial/full-sun in the fall & winter/, and partial/full shade in the spring/summer. I've only grown the "metallic lady" series, though, and they're in tough, dry shade during the growing season. A little supplemental watering is always crucial in this setting, IMO.

If you can keep them hydrated during the driest of summer months, don't hesitate to try them. They'll reward you in late winter with much-needed, colorful blooms!

Nelson

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 10:59PM
gruber(7-8)

Hey, thanks for your come back, can I plant 'em this fall?

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 12:57PM
outsideplaying_gw(7)

Absolutely, you can plant them this fall. Just keep them watered since it can be dry, and any dry shady areas around trees can add to your dryness problem. Try some that have some lime green in the leaf color if you have a lot of shade. It really makes a color statement along with the purple-leaf varieties. There are also caramel-leaf colors that are beautiful. 'Alabama Sunrise' is a favorite bi-color variety of mine, and not just because of the name!

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™