Passion Flower in Alabama!!! ???

scandia(7)September 4, 2007

I have Passion flower growing on the back of my property..What is STRANGE about this is that it is growing in the wild part. Meaning, the part of the property where I do not and have not planted anything..I looked it up and found that this plant grows in south america..Is passion flower suppose to be growing in northern Alabama naturally???How did it get there if I did not plant it?? Is it possible the birds brought it up??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terramadre

Passiflora incarnata is native .

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora species/HortiPlex

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 7:40AM
scandia(7)

Thank You..I guess I looked at the wrong site to find information about this...The pictures on the first site you gave me "native" is the exact flower I have, Passiflora incarnata, purple passion flower..It is not blooming anymore. I moved one into my flower garden, originally it appeared to be dead but has come back and is thriving...No blooms though...matter of fact it is growing all over the place. I cannot seem to get it to climb, so it is just growing along the ground. Any advice anyone may have about this plant...would be greatly appreciated..

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 12:36PM
jeff_al

they can become weedy by sending out underground runners some distance from the original plant so maybe put it where you don't mind when it does. the flowers are lovely and complex. it is a host plant for a butterfly larvae (the gulf fritillary, i think) and you can eat the fruit(seed capsules inside) when it ripens after the skin turns yellowish green and shrivels somewhat. they will die to the ground in winter and return from the roots in late spring.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 10:08AM
linda2222(7)

I grew up in NE Alabama and hoed many a row of cotton. We had to weed out passion flowers (Maypops) and would beg my father to let us leave some for the fall when we could "pop" the fruit with our feet. I have always loved the flower. As a little girl, my sister and I would make "dolls" from the flower. Neat native plant. I don't know how it got started here. That would be a good research project. I think Kudzo was brough here from China or Japan as an irragation plant. What a disaster!

linda2222

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 1:02PM
esh_ga

According to the USDA Plants database, here is the "natural" distribution for passionflower in AL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Distribution

Bookmark   October 1, 2007 at 8:54PM
bevinga

Linda2222...sounds like you and I grew up in the same area. I grew up on Sand Mountain and we had Passionflower there, as well. I always loved the story of how the stamen represented the 5 loaves and 2 fishes in the Bible. We had Maypop wars...yup...sometimes it wasn't too pleasant but it was a lot of fun!

Beverly

Bookmark   October 2, 2007 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Sponsored Products
Schoolhouse Short Vertical Bookcase - Cherry - 4565
$269.99 | Hayneedle
Flower Power Plant Sensor
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Razzo Pendant by Tech-Tiella Lighting
$100.00 | Lumens
OK LIGHTING Lamps 31 in. Antique Brass Chrysanthemum Table Lamp OK-4238T
Home Depot
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Gatsby Beige 5 ft. x 7 ft. 6
Home Depot
Pink & Orange Flower Garden Stake
$14.99 | zulily
Frame It All Crayola Hexagonal Sandbox Kit with Optional Cover - 7 ft. x 8 ft. x
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Soft Blue Claudine Flower Candleholder
$18.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™