What is the best way to store/send seed?

vivilet(7b AL)October 19, 2005

I would like to know what is the best way to store/send seed? Is there and advantage to the small paper(coin envelopes), or is plastic bags ok? Also should all seeds be stored in the refrigerator over the winter? I thought someone that had been doing this for a while would know best. Viv

????????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

If you want the best results, DO NOT USE PLASTIC! Use some sort of paper. I like newspaper, folded into envelopes and the seams sealed with "scotch" tape. You may want to use a double thickness of newspaper. The newspaper absorbs and dissipates any residual moisture your seeds may retain. Plastic will hold that moisture and mildew may set up. You can use an open plastic box or pickle jar for storage but don't put on the top. Also, put paper towels in the bottom to absorb and dissipate moisture. For shipping, leave them in the newspaper envelope and then make fold them in cardboard for protection. Mail them in a padded envelope.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 1:45PM
mimidi(z8)

I agree with TSmith. Give your seeds plenty of room to breath and dry out. Never use plastic.

Bookmark   October 20, 2005 at 5:58PM
lucky_p

No plastic? I don't think so.
Depends on the seed - if they require moist stratification, plastic is fine - I've been stratifying acorns, nuts, persimmon, pawpaw, and other seeds that need cold, moist stratification in ziploc bags with some moist newsprint, paper toweling or peat for decades.
If they're seeds that don't have to be kept moist, paper may be OK, but if they are seeds like those listed above, attempting to store them in anything other than a plastic bag or a tightly-closeable jar or plastic container will result in them dessicating and most certainly being non-viable come spring.

Bookmark   October 21, 2005 at 8:50PM
rjbman(Z-6 NE Ala)

We harvest our Daylily seeds in the late Spring as the
seed pods begin to dry out. We then place the seeds in
a jar or plastic baggie and put them in the refrigerator
(not freezer). We plant them early the next Spring.
Have had great success with this method.

Bookmark   October 22, 2005 at 9:53AM
vivilet(7b AL)

THANKS, for all the information! It has been very helpful.
Viv

Bookmark   October 22, 2005 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™