hummers gone?

colabamaOctober 19, 2005

haven't seen any hummingbirds now in about 2 weeks.should i pack up the feeder for the winter? tia for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rjbman(Z-6 NE Ala)

We had one sitting on the feeder yesterday here in Glencoe. We usually have several around the various feeders. I think this last little chill at nite may have persuaded them to begin their migration.

rj

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 12:15PM
outsideplaying_gw(7)

I haven't seen any here either (NE Morgan County), but am leaving the feeder up since it's been so warm. We might get a few headed south from places up nawth.

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 3:32PM
BDnBAMA(7/Alabama)

Haven't seen any in the last 2 weeks but left the feeders up just in case thee was a late one & yes, I had one filling up today. I think I will leave them up until the 1st of Nov. Betty

Bookmark   October 19, 2005 at 9:34PM
mimidi(z8)

I am near Dothan and have not seen a hummer in over 3 weeks. I think that are gone. It will not hurt to leave out a feeder for a few more weeks just in case one comes by. I have plenty of flowers still blooming to take care of a stragler.

Bookmark   October 20, 2005 at 5:56PM
eskimobaby87(z8AL)

My hummers are gone too. Have ya'll seen any of the golden finches yet? I've had a feeder up for a while because I usually get gobs of the little fellas in the winter but I haven't seen one yet.

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 9:02PM
Daphne35(zone 6)

Bob Sargent--federally licensed hummingbird expert in Clay Alabama recommends that we leave at least one hummingbird feeder out all winter long. Remember to change the syrup frequently though--you may get a bird staying over for the season and/or a rarity who has strayed or been blown off the usual migratory course. For more information on this check with Bob's website at Rubythroat@aol.com--he can supply all kinds of info regarding birds (hummers are his specialty) plus pictures. If you are lucky enough to have an overwintering bird--call Bob and he will come and tag it for the birding research studies.

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 5:07PM
colabama

thanks everyone for all your good information!

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 7:22PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Is anyone growing Malvaviscus arboreus, sleeping hibiscus or Turk's turban? This was my first summer season to grow it. When the hummers came through a few weeks ago, they loved this plant. I'm definitely spreading it throughout the garden area. On hummer loved it so much that he did some serious feeding 6 feet from me while I watered one afternoon. has anyone else had s similar experience. Cut and paste the URL below to get info on
www.wildflower2.org/NPIN/Plants/Detail.asp?Scientific_Name=Malvaviscus%20arboreus

Terry

Bookmark   October 28, 2005 at 8:35PM
kumquat12(z8b FL)

Note: they love hot dry climates, and their roots are tough. It takes an atomic bomb to remove one completely once established. That is good for a natural fence. I love them. We used to pick the flowers and sip the nectar. I taught my granddaughter to do the same.

Bookmark   November 19, 2005 at 10:30PM
Casa_Del_Gatos(z8 AL)

"If you are lucky enough to have an overwintering bird--call Bob and he will come and tag it for the birding research studies."

Wow, this guy must be good. I can't even catch our hummers with a camera, let alone tag them!

Bookmark   November 20, 2005 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Sick of the Cold!!
Started all my zukes, cukes, and tomatos and this bi-polar...
jenandwya
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Sponsored Products
Woodstock Hummer 15 Inch Wind Chime - HBRS
$20.40 | Hayneedle
Four-Speed Rotary Ceiling Fan Wall Control
$21.60 | Bellacor
Oakland Living Hummingbird Bird Bath - 5131-AB
$159.98 | Hayneedle
EZ Inflatables Hummer Off-Road Jumper Bounce House - B162
Hayneedle
Paddle Fan Speed Control by Legrand
$35.98 | Lumens