Hydrangeas w/ brown stems-new problem?

keepingon(8)October 7, 2012

This is the first yr I have ever had any problems with hydrangeas. Beginning mid-summer stems started turning brown, some from the top down, some from the bottom up. In both cases leaves wilted and fell off. All the'Nikko' are affected, but not 'Bailmer' or another rebloomer.

I talked with Jim Jacoby, pathologist at BBG, thinking it was a disease. He told me it was an insect larvae inside the canes & to cut off the affected stems & destroy or put in the garbage. When I did this, I discovered pin-sized holes in the sides of the canes. This is appaarently not the same insect that bores much larger holes in the cut end of a cane.

I had these when I grew roses.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and are there any preventative measures I can take now to control this insect for next year? I am afraid I will not cut them all out.

I need some help. I have already had to give up my roses because of midge. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew(8 GA)

Very interested in learning more about this, keepingon. Could Jim Jacoby supply more info - id'ing the insect and recommendations for control?

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™