please help me with mums!

teachergirlyOctober 9, 2007

ok - i try to garden, i really do. i buy lots of stuff and try to grow it and make my yard look nice, but i don't always do that well. my latest subject is mums. i have a HUGE one in a pot and two smaller ones all in pots. they looked SOOOO good when i got them. i have watered them about every other day. i was attempting to deadhead? them?? but now - they look awful!!! what do i do? how do i take care of mums? i really don't know what to do with them and i can't seem to get information anywhere - maybe i'm not looking in the right place. please let me know if you can give me any help! thanks!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squirrellypete(z7b AL)

I'd be interested to see the answers to this as well. I experience the same thing when I try to grow them in pots past a certain length of time. Even repotting and fertilizing doesn't seem to improve them. Once I got them planted into the garden soil and I finally learned to start judiciously pruning them throughout the season to make them fuller they seem to do be happy, but I'm terrible with potted plants.

Danielle J.

Bookmark   October 9, 2007 at 11:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Mums are short term bloomers, especially in containers. Careful watering can help, I think. Avoid soaking the flower heads every time you water to prevent fungal problems from starting and spreading. Keep up with the deadheading from the very beginning.

Once planted in a permanent location in the garden and cut back pretty heavily at the right times of years can result in a twice a year (spring and fall) display. Full sun with maybe some protection from the hottest afternoon rays would be good in your location.

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™