calling garden gurus-need advice

michelle11(z7 AL)November 5, 2005

Hi all! I have two questions:

First of all, is it okay/necessary to prune hydrangeas or lantana? My Miss Huff lantana is growing more out than up, and I would like to train it.

My second question is about mulching. My garden book says to remove all mulch at this time of year and replace it with fresh. Do you all do this? Is it necessary? It seems like alot of work, but if it will benefit my plants, I will gladly do it.

Thanks for helping out this gardening newbie! I am having a great time getting into all of this.

Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tedevore(7b Al)

For hydrangea pruning questions, you might check out
http://www.aldridgegardens.com/askeddie.htm. This is the aldridge gardens website, and Eddie Aldridge is well known as a hydrangea expert. From what
I understand, he was instrumental in finding/propoagating the "snowflake"
oakleaf hydrangea cultivar. He answers pruning questions, depending on the
species.

I have never removed old mulch. by the time fall comes around and I start
dividing or cutting back stuff, the old stuff gets mixed around and sort of dissapears anyway.

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 6:06PM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Michelle,

I don't remove old mulch either - i just add to it. My plants are fine, so it must be working!

I don't know that i would cut back the lantana at this point, but perhaps in the spring. I have HEARD (from where I don't remember) that cutting them back can cause problems during the winter - however, others do so and have no problems. I wait until the spring to cut mine back, around the time it starts putting out new growth.

Rosemary

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 6:10PM
tony_pman(7b/8a Al.)

Wait until Spring to cut back lantana. The stims are hollow and water can get into them and freeze(killing the plant).

Tony

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 6:55PM
BDnBAMA(7/Alabama)

I say "DITTO" on tha Lantana, leave until Spring. As far as the Hydrangeas, you have to know 'how' to cut it back if you want it to bloom. If not pruned properly you may cut off this years growth & next years blooms. I just let mine go except for removing the old flower heads. As far as mulch, also just leave & add to. Betty

Bookmark   November 5, 2005 at 10:25PM
tsmith2579(7B)

Last year I didn't prune my lantana in autumn. I did mulch with leaves around the main stem. In years past, I have pruned it and covered the stems with a flower pot full of leaves. My lantana did the poorest it ever has this year. It was slow to sprout out and slow to grow despite plenty of rain. I'll definitely prune after frost and cover with pots of leaves this year.

Bookmark   November 6, 2005 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™