Blueberry Bush Size???

haveuseen1November 3, 2009

Hello, and I wanted to thank you in advance for any information you may provide.

I am curious to the size of a 2-3 year old blueberry bush. Just about everything you read says to purchase 2-3yr old bushes. I actually have 3 ( climax,premiere,brightwell ) that I have planted and they are roughly 18 inches high. I dont think they are 2-3yr bushes and I am ok with that. I did want to get some sort of idea of how old they are though.

North Alabama

Thank you kindly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barberberryfarm(8A)

My guess, without seeing pictures of the plants, is that they're closer to 2 years old rather than 3. As far as growth characteristics go, the premier should initially grow a little faster than the brightwell, but the brightwell will become more thick and bushy than the premier. The climax variety, on the other hand, grows a little slower than the other two and spreads more outward than upward in their early years. In other words, like their leaves, the climax bush is more rounded in shape. Also, remember to never use nitrate-based fertilizers as their salt content will burn the delicate blueberry roots; always use an ammonium sulfate-based fertilizer like those used to fertilize azeleas.

Hope this helps,

Ken Barber
Barber Berry Farm
Millbrook AL

Hope this helps,

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 10:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haveuseen1

Thank you kindly, and you have a great website.

Thanks again

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Another update on madabouteu - by madabouteu
For those who might wonder - I am still doing OK. Legs...
madabouteu
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
South AL/N FL swap?
The one up north sounds so awesome but is too far for...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™