A Fungus Among Us!

ourhighlandhomeNovember 6, 2013

The more I use mulch and soil "conditioners", the more I get odd little creatures emerging from the ground.

I noticed these strange, little fellows growing in a container as I was taking it into the basement. I think they're neat - thought I'd share.

Oh, they're from the family Nidulariaceae. I'll leave the pronunciation to y'all. They're commonly referred to as Bird's Nest mushrooms!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

One of my favorite little living things! I remember when I saw my first crop of these little fungi years ago.....can we use the term "charming " for a darned mushroom?

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 1:30PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

One of my favorite little living things! I remember when I saw my first crop of these little fungi years ago.....can we use the term "charming " for a darned mushroom?

Bookmark   November 7, 2013 at 1:31PM
swjonthebay(8b Alabama)

What an interesting little fellow! Yes, I'd say 'charming' is appropriate :-)

I've never seen that before and thank you for sharing.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 6:37PM
drippy(7bAL)

Cool!

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 6:12PM
outsideplaying_gw(7)

Never seen those, but they sure are cool!

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 5:48PM
terramadre

Nelson,

"I noticed these strange, little fellows growing in a container as I was taking it into the basement."

You may want to keep that container outside
........as.....
"These odd and fascinating little fungi look for all the world like tiny birds' nests. The fruiting bodies form little cuplike nests which contain spore-filled eggs. The nests are called "peridia" ("peridium" in the singular), and serve as splash cups; when raindrops strike the nest, the eggs (called "periodoles") are projected into the air, and they latch onto twigs, branches, leaves, and so on. What exactly happens next is not completely clear, but eventually the spores are dispersed from the egg. They then germinate and create mycelia, which eventually hook up with other mycelia and produce more fruiting bodies."

Either water the containers in the basement or take it outside and let Mother Nature take care of the rest.

No matter what........the Bird's Nest fungi are adorable, interesting and useful.

I want some;-)

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
New to Dothan AL
Hi We have just recently moved to the south from Illinois...
joycie52
Lisianthus from seed
Hi has any one grown Lisianthus from seed,I have some...
lifeflower123
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™