winter crops?

beckibob(7b AL)December 25, 2007

My pepper plants finally gave in to the col, and I'm wondering if I can plant anything else that can grow through the winter in central Alabama? One year I had a lot of luck with cilantro, but there's only so much cilantro anyone needs. Will spinach or arugula make it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alabamanicole(7b)

Yes, many crops but it's probably too late to plant them this year. Many will survive fine and can be harvest through the winter but need the last warm days of fall to grow, and the longer maturing ones should be planted mid-summer. Most of them you want them to be mature before the hard freezes set in.

Spinach, kale, collards, radishes, turnip greens, beets, cabbage, carrots, peas, scallions, chives, onions, garlic (harvest in late spring), turnips, arugula, brussel sprouts, fava beans, mustard, mache, parsnips, many leaf lettuces, and more. Also many herbs and edible flowers.

Your county extension office will have a planting calendar for your region. The extension calendars usually only have a few popular items, but it's a place to start.

Winter gardening is the BEST -- almost no bugs or pests or weeds to deal with.

Bookmark   December 25, 2007 at 11:18AM
tsmith2579(7B)

By late February or in March you should be able to plant potatoes, onions, turnips, mustard, kale, etc. I love a good mustard salad. Fresh mustard greens, chopped green onions, crisp chopped bacon, a sprinkle of apple cider or wine vinegar and drizzle the bacon grease over the greens. Add chopped boiled eggs if you want. Yum, yum!

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 11:26PM
bricore_2007

tsmith2579,
Thank-you for posting that.. I was just surfing around and wondering what to plant and when. We are closing on our new home in Alabama here soon and I had no idea when and what to start planting.
I figure the more time I spend on gardening the less I'll miss my home now (it's taken me years to get this place the way I like it.. Now it's time to start over again. Oh, well at least it's fun!)

Thanks again!

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Here is a link that might be useful: Y-2K Hippie

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 9:21AM
bigfootbait(8b)

I posted a vegetable planting dates calendar for Lower Alabama on a page of my personal website. It is set up for for Andalusia, Covington County, Alabama. The webpage cites the Alabama Ag Extension Publication from which I addapted this planting dates calendar. The webpage is called "Andalusia Planting Dates" Here is the URL for webpage http://lawnflowersjerkyandbigfoots.com/plantingcalendar
Oh, and check the link I posted to the National Arbor Day Foundation's updated climate zone map. It surprised me.
Happy planting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Andalusia Planting Dates

Bookmark   January 31, 2008 at 10:29AM
CKBROWN(8B)

The Plain Garden Planting Cycle is one source of a calendar from Bill Finch.
http://blog.al.com/entertainment-press-register/2010/02/start_planting_with_the_wonder.html
It is for the Gulf Coast but you can edit it for your own area.

Also note the advice in this weekly column:
http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2014/10/fall_planting_the_gardens_best.html

Bookmark   October 31, 2014 at 8:48PM
CKBROWN(8B)

Here is a file that prints the garden calendar.
Also listen to gardening shows on the radio to fine tune
the calendar for your specific area and climate.

http://www.al.com/images/hg/spring_garden_calendar.pdf

Bookmark   October 31, 2014 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
Veggies for Spring Swap
I am ordering seeds to grow vegetable starts for the...
madabouteu
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™