Too late to plant pansies?

rojonogoDecember 12, 2013

Autumn got away from me this year. I bought pansies in late November, but I didn't have a chance to plant them in my window boxes before freezing temps began.
Can I still plant these? Right now the flats are just sitting in the window boxes so I can bring them inside if need be.
I live in Birmingham.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

'Tis the season to plant pansies. They should thrive all winter, then probably succumb to heat stress by summer although the occasional plant can make it through summer. This is why one who can't stand the heat might be called a pansy.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 9:20AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Canna....whether your pansies have problems being planted this late in your location depends on what the weather does. Without an established root system, they won't take kindly to sub-freezing temperatures readily tolerated when planted earlier. Pansies can be extremely cold tolerant on top of a strong root system.

Here in Huntsville, I'd plant them! The temps in the upcoming few days look nice. You might want to protect them if it drops below 30 for a few weeks.

I like to plant my pansies in early fall so that they are big and sturdy when freezing temperatures hit. The further south you are, the less important the establishment period is.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 7:49AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Canna....whether your pansies have problems being planted this late in your location depends on what the weather does. Without an established root system, they won't take kindly to sub-freezing temperatures readily tolerated when planted earlier. Pansies can be extremely cold tolerant on top of a strong root system.

Here in Huntsville, I'd plant them! The temps in the upcoming few days look nice. You might want to protect them if it drops below 30 for a few weeks.

I like to plant my pansies in early fall so that they are big and sturdy when freezing temperatures hit. The further south you are, the less important the establishment period is.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 7:50AM
rojonogo

I think I forgot to thank you all. I did plant them, and they are still thriving. :-)

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:26PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

That's cool! Time to start thinking about something for summer? Angelonia? Pentas? Guess we should ask which side the boxes are on?

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Anyone grow bleeding hearts?
I have killed several bleeding hearts over the years....
raestr
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
Yoshino Cherry Trees
We are hoping to plant 4-5 Yoshino Cherry Trees in...
Mimi_Carol
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™