Morel Mushrooms ?

kathyinalabama(7b Montevallo)December 29, 2007

Hello,

Just wondering if Morel Mushrooms can be found growing in Alabama, and if so, what areas? Thanks for any info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

Kathy, I'm almost 60 y/o. I tramped all over Jefferson and Shelby counties when I was growing up while hunting. This was back in the days when northern and eastern Jefferson county was mostly woods and fields, Hwy 280 was a winding 2 lane road and almost all of Shelby county was like Oak Mountain park. I don't ever remember seeing anything which even resembled a morel mushroom. The website: http://thegreatmorel.com/faq.html#q1 tells us:QUESTION: Do morels grow in my region of the United States? ANSWER:This is an often-asked question and with the exception of a few geographical areas, the answer is more than likely -yes. However, while it seems the Great Lakes region in the midwest is the hot bed for the morel, the morels are found in most regions of the US with the exception of the desert and deep southern coastal areas. The Great Morel suggests that you contact your area's nature and wildlife department for assistance as an added information source.

Bookmark   January 1, 2008 at 12:47PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Hey, Kathy! There's a North Alabama Mushroom Society...or at least there was. ;-) They used to meet at the botanical garden.

Bookmark   January 1, 2008 at 2:53PM
kathyinalabama(7b Montevallo)

Thanks for your replies. Any idea what month is best to look for them?

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 1:09PM
lucky_p

like tsmith, I tramped over the woods & swamps of Lee Co. for a quarter-century and never saw or heard of a morel, until I went to grad school in MO. I can't say that they don't exist in AL, but you may have to settle for some good ol' puffballs, if you're looking to harvest 'wild' mushrooms.

Bookmark   January 13, 2008 at 7:52AM
almtnman

I found a small Morel mushroom a couple of days ago while doing some landscaping in a wooded area near my house here in NE Alabama. So it's apparent that some do grow here. From what little I know of them I would think that the month of April is good to start looking for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Mountain Man Outdoors

Bookmark   April 12, 2008 at 12:04PM
wounded_ego

Beware of FALSE Morels (which are not hollow) as they are poisonous.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Music

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
Spring Swap 2015
Ken's message about veggies reminded me that we need...
browneyedsusan_gw
Buckle your seatbelts, Alabama!
Are you ready for a little snow? Or a lot? I went...
Bundle up, Alabama!
Three dog night coming up, for sure. Hope no one loses...
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
american ginseng
Just wondering if anyone else here messes with this...
notascrename
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™