azalea lichen

hawkeye38(7bAL)December 30, 2008

I few years ago I planted a group of 8 azaleas in my yard.

Five of the azaleas are growing and healthy and bloom well each spring but 3 of the plants are runty and have a growth that I thought was a fungus. It appears that it is a folicose form lichen that grows gray leafy stuff along the limbs. On these plants, the leafs are sparse and small and the blooms are small in the spring. It may be that these 3 are a different type but should they be sprayed with a fungicide or fertilized diferently? The healthy plants do not have any visible lichens. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You'll need to figure out why your lichen covered azaleas are dwindling. Lichen won't prosper on lush, healthy plants.

Are they planted in too much sunlight? Is the soil a problem in that specific area? Perhaps it is poorly drained or the pH is too high?

Fungicides (or pesticides of any kind) are never the answer for lichen growth. Becoming a detective and figuring out the problem with the sickly azaleas IS. I usually look to the soil when trying to solve this kind of problem, but it could be a number of things.

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
Just logged in to say goodbye
The new site didn't recognize me as sundog7, but wouldn't...
gmwaid
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™