WANTED: Ornamnetal Alliums-Best varieties? Any Available?

gardenlove(z5-6)March 5, 2006

Hello!...I would like to grow some Ornamental varieties of Allium in my garden...Does anyone have any available for purchase or trade?...I have a book called "Growing and Using Herbs Successfully" by Betty E.M. Jacobs that I could trade...or I also have some seeds......What ornamental Varieties are the best to grow for drama, contrast and color, and can anyone recommend good online sources for purchasing the bulbs?...Are they OK planted now?..or should they only be planted in the fall?....I am obviously a newbie to Alliums...Thank you!...GardenLove

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
willowwasp(9 S.Texas)

Hi GardenLove, just checking to see if you got any bulbs? If so how are they doing?
I am also looking for some of the bigger varities and have even tried E-bay with little sucess. Seems the price can be right but the shipping would be outrageous. Let me know how you faired.....

Dee

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 10:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zengeos(5 Maine)

Hi Gardenlove, for ornamental Allium, I went to John Scheepers online. http://www.johnscheepers.com/

Actually, for bulbs in general I was quite impressed. Of course, this is my first year growing bulbs,and, perhaps, 1000 bulbs was a bit much....but...what can I say! I bought about 5 varieties of Alliuum, including the low growing karataviense Allium, which also have much thicker leaves. Nextr year we'll see how well things do..and how brown my bulb thumb is!It's late this year, but keep it in mind for next.

Bookmark   December 31, 2007 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Want Paw Paw, Floha, Cuban Purple, Oregon Blue - even lo
I have many different kinds to trade or would buy outright...
rjcantor
WANTED: Martin's Heirloom and Schumacher Garlic
I have many seeds & plants in trade. I know it...
acheck_wa
HAVE: elephant garlic
I have elephant garlic cloves to trade for German Porcelain...
paulah-gardener
WANTED: Music Garlic or others
I am looking to trade from my list for garlic. I don't...
barefootgardner12
Wanted: Ornamental Allium Bulbs
I have Iris's for trade. I would like large globe...
planterjeff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™