Onion root maggots

foxglove_pa(z6 PA)January 5, 2006

Hello to the allium experts from a novice. I planted leeks in my garden plot at a communty garden last year and although they grew very well, most were infested with what I found out to be onion root maggots. I planted garlic this fall, (in a separate raised bed) and I'm concerned about the garlic getting infested. Anyone have any good non-chemical ways to deal with this pest? I've cleaned out the beds and left no infested leeks. However, since this is a community garden plot there are many beds around that I'm sure have not been cleaned and may contain onions (both wild and cultivated) that probably contain this pest. Since it's a fly as an adult it can travel a fair distance to infect new crops. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm planning to also grow leeks again this spring and would prefer them to be maggot-free!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cmdrzog(6/7 LI NY)

Root maggots of both alliums & brassicas are well controlled w/ beneficial nematodes. Application is usually when the soil hits 50F+ . I have found a 90%+ success rate and an application usually lasts 2 years.
Floating row covers are often recommended, but except for short term crops like radish or turnips I have not done well w/ them.

Bookmark   January 7, 2006 at 10:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foxglove_pa(z6 PA)

Thanks for the advice--I'll order some nematodes in my January seed order. I saw some in the catalog. Not sure if the row covers will be a practical solution for me--I'll see how the nematodes work out first I think.

Bookmark   January 9, 2006 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Garlic green die back?
So my garlic bulbs must have sprouted in November during...
urban_will
garlic suppliers
Buying garlic is sure hard. I have saved the best of...
little_minnie
Garlic left in ground over winter
I planted cloves last spring and they sprouted leaves...
garydg
Sponsored Products
Shag Beige Runner: 2 Ft. 3 In. x 13 Ft. Rug
$120.95 | Bellacor
Gold Muse Candle
$88.00 | Horchow
Bargello Waves Pillow - MULTI COLORS
$150.00 | Horchow
Blue US State Map Customizable Print
$18.99 | zulily
Yellow Shade Golden Vase Tiffany Table Lamp
ParrotUncle