using bulbils

joanfreedJanuary 31, 2009

HI. I'm new here. I see lots of folks very knowledgeable on all these topics, and have a question about bulbils. My sister gave me a bunch of dried bulbils, and I'm wondering how to use them. My problem being they are tiny, so I don't know how to get the skins off to put them in recipes. I mean reeally Tiny! (she's a new gardener, and her crop may not have been the greatest.) I thought about planting them, but that didn't happen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watermelon7(9 - 10)

Probably Egyptian Walking Onion. If you want to plant them, simply put them in the ground, about half an inch to an inch. They may take a couple of weeks to root and send up a stalk. To cook them, you can simply wash them and put the and cook it in with your favorite soups or whatever. But, if you don't want the skins when you are cooking them, just simply gently rub the skins off. If you put just one in the ground, it will produce about 25 bulblets, or bulbils, each, so they are a pretty self-sustaining plant. You can eat the large bulb in the ground, also. Try the onions out, and if you like them, plant a few in your backyard. They are supposed to have full sun, but they are known to grow just fine in shade. Plant at least 3 inches away from each other. They are perennials, and averagely take around 100 days to mature, but that can be varied where you live.

Bookmark   January 31, 2009 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
Garlic green die back?
So my garlic bulbs must have sprouted in November during...
urban_will
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Newbie to garlic growing
I would like to try a variety of bulbs this fall. Anyone...
Sunnygran55
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
Yellow Onions Sprouted in my Kitchen
Hi. I have some big yellow onions that I bought at...
sistercrystal
Sponsored Products
Pueblo Rug 3' x 5' - PURPLE/RED
$229.00 | Horchow
Diamonds in the Sand Area Rug
$87.99 | Dot & Bo
Dual Purpose 6 Inch Table/Wall Moving Gear Clock - Glass Lens
$33.95 | Bellacor
Auburn Fireplace Mantel Shelf
Signature Hardware
Flower 'Friends Are the Family We Choose' Three-Photo Clip Frame
$12.99 | zulily