newbie needs advice on what onions to plant?

illidanx(Z6_OK)January 7, 2013

Hello all,

I am trying to plant onion indoor just for the green. Ideally, I want to be able cut down the onion leaves, and the onion will be able to grow new replacement leaves over and over.

Currently, I have planted the pearl onion bulbs I bought at walmart. They are growing well. However, I read on the internet that these onions are on the 2nd year of their life cycle and they will bolt soon. Do you know if they will give me lots of green before bolting?

I have also purchased the bunching onion seeds from ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/290838813124?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649). I have not planted them yet but I wonder if they will give me more onion leaves than the first method?

Thank you for your inputs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

I don't do a lot of onion growing indoors but I'll take a guess based on a bunch of outdoor experience. If you keep feeding the pearl onions, you should get a good amount of green before they get enough light to bolt.

Plant for plant, I have had more top growth with pearl / normal onions than the bunching variety but usually the bunching are better for using whole as scallions. Also, onions from seed are going to take longer to get to usable size than planting pearl onions / sets so you could probably do both and get tops from the bunching ones after the pearls decide to bolt.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™