gandana

mantuJanuary 20, 2008

Does anyone know where to get seeds or plants of gandana? Leeks or garlic chives are often used as a substitute for it but do not taste quite the same.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvinlife513

I hope this is what you are looking for. you might be having trouble finding it because you are looking for it by the wrong name. It is really a shallot. Look at the link I enclosed, it is and Indian item, and if you look here you will see it is a shallot.
If you are looking for a tuber that taste like a cross between an onion and garlic and is slightly elongated then this is it. It is a shallot I use them and they are delicious. You need to plant the tubers not seed it is too difficult to plant them as seeds. I hope this helps?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.indianetzone.com/1/shallot.htm

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 12:01PM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

luvinlife513
Would you be willing to trade a few gandanas? If so please email thru my member page. Thanks

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 12:18AM
luvinlife513

I am sorry I don't have any but you can buy them on line just google and you will find some. I might give it a try someday.

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 6:23PM
mantu

Thank you. I will try to search under the botanical name. My wife and mother-in-law grew up eating them. I would like to plant some for them. Thanks again.

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 12:04PM
laila_2008

Still looking for Gandana. Gandana is not shallots. I grew up eating them when my father had a garden, but I am trying to find seeds now.

Has anyone had any luck?

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 1:36PM

Hi,

I know you have posted this question several years ago. Did you find Gandana seeds or are you still looking for them. I like Gandana too, but haven't been able to find its seeds in Europe. I don't know its English name either, but it is neither garlic chive nor shallot as suggested. I am currently visiting Afghanistan and Gandana seeds are available here. If you want, I can buy you some and post it to you wherever you are.

Many thanks,
H

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Garlic left in ground over winter
I planted cloves last spring and they sprouted leaves...
garydg
what (if anything) to plant with garlic?
Hey all, Last fall I planted a bunch of garlic in 2...
pegleg48
Can I wait to plant garlic?
Hi - I have planted all the garlic I can in the room...
jennieboyer
garlic suppliers
Buying garlic is sure hard. I have saved the best of...
little_minnie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™