Want Old Fashion Scallions, Multiplying onions

kcdupree(Z8 TX)January 2, 2012

I had these for years, and somehow, one year, they were gone, but I really want them back. Saw some seeds in the Shumway book, but the seeds were only $1.85 and the shipping was $6.

So looking for some from someone's garden, so I can bypass the seed stage.

Have elephant garlic, shallots, and some Sweet Heritage White onions, they make a small 3-bulb onion like the shallots. Also have garlic chives and leeks.

Thanks!

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skeip

I have a really nice scallion / bunching onion that has perennialized in my WI garden, and would be happy to send you some, in about 4 months, when things thaw and come back to life!! If you are interested in seed for same, send a SASE small padded mailer and I can send them to you.

Steve

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 5:31PM
jolj(7b/8a)

skeip, I have XG422 Yellow Multiplier from Territorial Seed Co.
I am in S.C. zone 7b/8a.
I was just wondering if my M.Onions would grow in your perennialized garden.

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 9:00PM
skeip

I have grown that very onion for several years. In fact, last year I had such a good harvest that I was able to send stock to several people from this forum. I have never been overly impressed with it, but it is a curiosity, and something people seem to be interested in.

I plant the bulbs in the fall for a midsummer harvest, I have not left them in the ground as I would expect they would degrade and go "grassy" like garlic left in the ground will.

The onion that I was referring to is a scallion or bunching type that has formed quite a nice patch where I can pull as many as I need. They also bloom and produce viable seed. This is a variety that I planted from seed a number of years ago, and no longer have record or recollection of the name.

Steve

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™