Planting garlic now in Zone 5b

tomswpa(Z5b)February 4, 2008

I didn't get around to planting garlic last fall. I've planted it as late as early December here in zone 5b with good results. Its been so warm here (64 F tomorrow), that the ground is not frozen and I'd be able to plant it some day this week. Will heads form by late summer?

Can anyone explain why its necessary to plant garlic in the fall in cold winter areas in order for it to form heads the following summer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mistervetch(z6b (NE TN))

You can still plant garlic. If you get out and plant right now, it'll be better than if you planted tomorrow.

There's a thread from the other day called ---> Is it *truly* too late to plant Garlic?

Bookmark   February 7, 2008 at 3:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcthomas

Garlic planted now will form heads, but they will be smaller than if planted in the Fall.

When garlic cloves are planted, the first thing they do is put down roots to feed from the soil, then put up leaves to feed from sunshine. When you plant in the Fall, temperatures are mild enough for the root system to get established and the leaves to start before being slowed by the cold Winter. When temperatures moderate in the Spring, growth resumes and the leaves become large early, feeding the bulb. Since the roots and leaves had a good head start, larger bulbs develop by Summer.

TomNJ

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Garlic left in ground over winter
I planted cloves last spring and they sprouted leaves...
garydg
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™