overwintering onions

Zinia(z7NC)February 11, 2009

Hi,

I want to be able to "hold" onions in the ground during the winter. We are able to hold carrots over the entire winter in the ground and pull them as we need them.

I'm not picky about the variety. We are eating more onions these days to help husband's cholesterol problem (doing other things other than just onions). We love onions baked, stewed with summer squash, in vegetable stir fry, soup, .... We like leeks and might try them next fall.

If the above is not possible, what variety of onion would grow well in my area, which is near Raleigh, NC z7b, and will have a small neck, not rot in storage of my basement, and not sprout fast? Since I want to store the onions over the winter, how should I time the planting -- maybe it would be better to start transplants as late as possible to delay harvest and therefore extend the storage period?

Note: This is a garden to decrease my family's food expense. I have 2 teenagers who like to eat.

I have more experience growing other vegetables. I know little about onion growing.

If someone can fully explain what I should do, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thank you,

zinia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baygrower(7 maryland)

I planted 8 pounds onions sept.5.Ground thawed 3 days ago and have been using the scallions daily.My leeks were planted in garden may 28 and i pick whenever ground is not frozen.I have been doing this for at least 10 years.Good luck.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 10:45PM
Zinia(z7NC)

Thanks baygrower. That seems like a lot of onions to eat. My plan is to continue experimenting in the garden and the kitchen. We have $1.50 in onion sets from Walmart out in the garden. I bought a bundle of transplants at a local garden center. With the transplants, I'm going to try to get them to bulb. The business provided a direction sheet on growing onions, so I am being careful to follow instructions, to see if they will actually size up. If things don't go right, I can still cook what grows, puree and put in soup. One of the girls hates the texture of the onion pieces.
zinia

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 11:54PM
baygrower(7 maryland)

I store the sets not eaten as scallions, and use as broiler size- i like them cooked soft in cream.I have large extended family in area and as long as nothing is wasted, but yeah that 8 pounds would be alot for couple people.My seeds have sprouted and these will be my large storage onions for winter.I plant them in compost mixed with garden topsoil and bonemeal as fertilizer.Have been lucky with onion flys lately, but i tend to plant every few weeks( 1/3 at a time) if i get infestations.

Bookmark   February 26, 2009 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
garlic suppliers
Buying garlic is sure hard. I have saved the best of...
little_minnie
Planting harneck garlic in spring (zone 2b)
Life got in the way of getting my garlic in this past...
macky77
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Sponsored Products
Cooper Post Lantern by Quoizel
$239.99 | Lumens
Windster RA-76 Series Range Hood Baffle Filter - RA-76BF
$45.00 | Hayneedle
Shrimp & Grits - LIGHT BROWN
$52.00 | Horchow
New Castle Outdoor Pendant by Hinkley Lighting
$209.00 | Lumens
Onion Bulb Pendant in Gray
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Nuvo 1-light Textured Black Onion Wall Lantern
Overstock.com
Hen & Rooster Pakka Wood Stainless Steel Knife Set (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Mastrad Express Food Chopper
$13.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™