Growing leeks in zone 8

philothea(8)February 4, 2009

I just put out 100 leek seeds to germinate... and **then** realized that I do not have 100 containers for them! Gulp!

Can I sow the seeds into the ground, and if so, when would be a good time to do this? I am now getting a lot of conflicting info, but that might be because one site I looked at was from New Zealand. Another was from England and I didn't know what zone they are.

My head is whirling!

Thanks very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baygrower(7 maryland)

I have grown leeks for 10 years.I plant seeds in a one foot deep container the circumference of average bucket.After leeks are size of pencil, i dig hole in garden size of bucket.Usually one month later i seperate individual leeks and plant 4 inch apart in trench.The individual plants are very strong when seperating from the clump they form in bucket.Currently have couple hundred over-wintering from may 28 planting in 2008.I start under lights in april for jump on summer.

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 10:51AM
negi(8b)

The grasshoppers make a field day on my leaks, so for me leaks are a purely winter crop. They do well here, save for the grasshoppers.

My elephant Garlic thrives however. On a slope, it competes with grass and weeds. With no care at all it self propagates. Since elephant garlic is a leek, and since anything I would cook with a leek in it, would also be loaded with garlic, I have no problem with using fresh elephant garlic to cook with.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog entry on Elephant Garlic

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 11:36AM
tcstoehr

I have good success in zone 8(pacific northwest maritime) growing winter leeks from seed. I plant them in early April in a small corner of some garden bed tightly together. Then I transplant them to 1-foot spacing in a prepared bed during cool/cloudy weather in early July, or later as weather permits. Then I just leave them there and harvest one at a time thru the Fall and Winter.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™