Texas Sweet is it Long, Indeterminate or Short?

ourhappyhome(7B)February 6, 2008

I purchased Bonnie "white" onion plants from my local Walmart (Georgia). I contacted Bonnie and they said the variety is Texas Sweet, but they were unsure as to whether they are a long, short or indeterminate day variety. Anyone in my region of the country grown these? Do you happen to know what day length they are? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wcthomas

Dixondale Farms lists Texas Super Sweet as a short day variety (see http://www.dixondalefarms.com/category/short_day_onions). Not sure if it is the same, but I would expect a variety having Texas in its name to be a short day.

TomNJ

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 8:44AM
farmerdilla

If you got a Bonnie onion plant in Georgia, They label every thing "Sweets", but if you look on the end of the shipping crate they specify the cultivar. The only whites I have seen in this area from Bonnie are the White Granex hybrid, a short day cultivar.

Bookmark   February 16, 2008 at 5:15PM
micropropagator(zone5 S Indiana)

Just think about the Land of the Midnight Sun Which is any land north of the Artic Circle. So that is Long Day. Gardeners use the Ohio River or Mason-Dixon Line as the divider for south and intermediate regions.
But it is night that counts not day. So If you are growing a plant Turn on a light for one hour at midnight if you want a summer growth response. Recall Crysantheums grow in the summer, but the long nights of fall trigger flowers. So when I want no flowers but lots of stem cuttings to sell during the spring, I turn on a hundred watt bulb every 8 feet apart each directions for an hour or two at midnight.
Harold Eddleman, Indiana Biolab. 30 miles west of Louisville KY

Bookmark   February 23, 2008 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™