Early jump on Garlic, garden not ready

Peaceful_Warrior(7B GA)February 19, 2012

Hi. This is my 1st year with a "real garden". Long story short it is not ready for anything to be planted. I'm in zone 7B & want to get an early jump on garlic. What is my best alternative?

Thank

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

Hi! I'm not sure what you mean by alternative. Do you mean what to plant instead of garlic or where to plant instead of in the garden? Either way this is not the typical season for planting garlic, it is usually done in the fall. Having said that, I have grown garlic that I planted in very early spring, and while it was smaller, it did allow me to save a strain that I would have otherwise lost.

Garlic can be grown in containers, but again it tends to be smaller (or so I have read), so if you are looking to plant it out of season and out of the ground, you might get some discouraglingly small garlics. But if you just want to try it and get the hang of what garlic is like, you can give it a go. Otherwise, this might be the year to get things up and running so you will have a place to plant garlic come fall.

Here's a link to a page about growing garlic. Towards the bottom there is a section about growing it in containers. And of course, I've only been growing garlic for 5-6 years, so while I'm very comfortable with the process, I don't have the experience of an expert! Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Garlic

Bookmark   February 20, 2012 at 1:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolj(7b/8a)

I got my garlic from Mike at the above link.
I am pleased with them & can not wait to harvest them.
Will buy more this fall.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 6:20PM
More Discussions
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™