Is it worth saving my left over Allium bulbs?

s0uth3rncom4rtFebruary 22, 2011

I have a good number of allium bulbs (purple and white) that I was unable to find space for in my garden in the Fall. Now that spring is almost here, I don't know if it's worth the trouble of storing them until their proper planting time.

I guess my questions are...

1. Can I still plant them somewhere else? I don't have much room, but I may be able to squeeze them in somewhere.

2. How should I store them? I store my tender perennial roots in peat in a dark area of my unheated basement. Would this work for alliums as well?

3. If I do store them, will they be any good in the fall?

Any insight give would be great. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Redpine

"1. Can I still plant them somewhere else? I don't have much room, but I may be able to squeeze them in somewhere."

If the bulbs are still alive, you can plant them. You can plant them in pots if there is no room in the garden.

"2. How should I store them? I store my tender perennial roots in peat in a dark area of my unheated basement. Would this work for alliums as well?"

It is generally recommended that you store in the same manner that you store onions and garlic. However, they can be frozen as well, if the bulbs are cold-hardy. This may not be important to you, since they should only be frozen if you plan on planting them in the spring. The freezing simulates a winter outside. This is useful if you didn't get them planted in the fall.

"3. If I do store them, will they be any good in the fall?"

If you left them unplanted until the fall, I highly doubt if they would survive that long, but maybe they would.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 11:42PM
carolyn18810(z5)

I would plant them out in the spring anyway. I doubt they will last if left unplanted until fall. I have done this with many other bulbs that one would typically plant in the fall such as tulips or daffs. I have not had any problems.

You may as well plant them and see what happens. Odds are they won't last if not planted.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 1:29PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

1-what kind of Allium do you have ?
2- If onions, then you can find a spot to plant them real close, say one every one inch. You then thin, pull and use them as scallions/green onions. This way in one square foot you can plant 144 of them (12 x 12 = 144)

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 5:01AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™